The painful but hilarious Peep Show returns to Channel4 for its ninth and final series this week, and to mark the fact Jay Brooks was asked to shoot its stars, Robert Webb and David Mitchell, for Shortlist magazine.
The idea for the feature was for the two actors to pick their favourite and funniest moments from the Peep Show archives but as soon as they slipped back into their roles as Croydon’s oddest couple they had a row. Of course they did!
Anyway here are a few classic Peep Show moments
1.“Fancy dress? It’s like a joke for people with no sense of humour” (Mark, Series 7, episode 6).
2. “I suppose doing things you hate is the price you pay to avoid loneliness.” (Mark, Series 3, episode 2).
3. “A new boiler. Surely the least enjoyable way to spend £1,000. At least throwing the money out of the window you’d see the scrabbling mass, the hate-filled faces.” (Mark, Series 6, episode 2).
4. “If text kisses were real kisses then the world would be an orgy!” (Mark, Series 6, episode 6).
5. “Why do the people who want to talk about things always win?” (Jeremy, Series 3, episode 4).
6. “No, not the Hootenanny. Never the Hootenanny.” (Jeremy, Series 7 episode 6).
7. “[Politicians] should be more honest. You know, if they were more honest, then maybe people would vote and not switch straight over when the news comes on.” (Jeremy, Series 1, episode 4).
8. “Let’s face it, we’re all falling apart piece by piece. Doesn’t matter if you’re single or in a couple. You. Are. Going. To. Die.” (Mark, Series 1, episode 3).
9. “Socks before or after trousers, but never socks before pants, that’s the rule. Makes a man look scary, like a chicken.” (Mark, Series 1, episode 2).
10. “People like Coldplay and voted for the Nazis. You can’t trust people” (Super Hans, Series 3, episode 2).